As PVTA confronts the impacts of a national staffing shortage, we are working to proactively address these challenges to our operations. Despite our best efforts, the number of qualified drivers available to work continues to decline. To minimize unplanned service disruptions, we have reviewed our operations and service.
PVTA has reviewed each route and adjusted timetables and frequency to ensure that we can continue to provide the most effective service across our service area. We have identified a series of temporary service adjustments that we believe will minimize the impact on our passengers. While the decision to adjust service was difficult, we believe these adjustments allow us to continue providing the safe and reliable service that connects our passengers to the broader community and meets their needs to access employment, education, medical care, shopping, and the community.
Our goal is to ensure that we can provide the service our passengers and communities depend on with minimal disruptions.
Springfield and Northampton Area Transit Schedule Updates
X90 Schedule Update Effective January 18, 2022
- Holyoke – Chicopee trips on weekdays and Saturdays on A branch will now service Chicopee Walmart. Northbound A-branch trips will service Walmart after Chicopee Big Y. Southbound A-branch trips will service Walmart before Chicopee Big Y. This results in no service to stop #579 at Granby / Stanley. Riders using that stop should alternatively use stop #595 on Montgomery St at Trinity Health / Riverbend Medical Group.
- Chicopee – East Longmeadow trips on weekdays and Saturdays will only service Walmart on northbound trips, before Chicopee Big Y. Buses will not service Walmart after Chicopee Big Y.
Effective December 12, 2021
- Service changes in the Springfield area to address the ongoing shortage of bus operators:
- G2E suspended: The G2E Route will be suspended. Please use the G2 for service between Union Station and Memorial Industrial Park.
- B6 frequency change: Weekday frequency will be reduced from 20 minutes to 30 minutes. See B6 schedule. See B6 map. See the B6 Line Map.
- B7 frequency change: Weekday frequency will be reduced from 15 minutes to 20 minutes. See B7 schedule.
- X90 split route and frequency changes: The X90 route will be split into two parts. One serving Chicopee to HTC and the other serving Chicopee to East Longmeadow. See X90 schedule. See X90 map. See the X90 Line Map.
- Chicopee to East Longmeadow will run between East Longmeadow Big Y and Chicopee Big Y, while Chicopee to HTC will run between Chicopee Big Y and HTC.
- Passengers traveling between the two parts will require a transfer at Chicopee Big Y
- The Chicopee to East Longmeadow part will follow the existing A branch on all trips. Please use G1 for service on Grove St and Main St in Chicopee Falls.
- The Chicopee to East Longmeadow frequency will be reduced from 30 minutes to 60 minutes.
- The Chicopee to HTC part will continue to service both A branch and B branch with a slight variation on the B branch using the Willimansett Bridge instead of Buckley Blvd, Prospect St, James St, Syrek St, and Main St in South Hadley Falls to improve travel times. Service on X90 in South Hadley Falls will still be provided on A branch trips.
- The Chicopee to HTC frequency on each branch will be 60 minutes for a combined 30-minute frequency for service between HTC and Chicopee Big Y.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact PVTA’s Customer Service and Information Center or call 413-781-7882.
Northampton Area Transit Schedule Updates
Effective January 23, 20221
|Route Affected||Route Modifications||Schedules|
|B43||Weekdays between 7 AM and 1 PM, will operate service every half hour.||See B43 Schedule|
|R44||Operates from 7am to 7 PM on weekdays and Saturdays, 11AM to 5PM on Sundays||See R44 Schedule|
|B48||Provide service hourly from 7am to 7pm.
(Alternate connections to Springfield and Holyoke are available on the R41 and G73).
|See B48 Schedule|
Ongoing Northampton service information:
B48 buses does not stop to pick up or drop off passengers between Stop & Shop and Holyoke Transit Center (HTC)
- Between HTC & Stop & Shop, only the stops listed below is serviced.
- To HTC: Stop & Shop & HTC
- To Northampton: HTC, Lyman/Elm, & McNulty Park/Stop & Shop
- Click here to view a poster of this notice.