As PVTA confronts the impacts of a national staffing shortage, we are working to proactively address these challenges to our operations. Despite our best efforts, the number of qualified drivers available to work continues to decline. To minimize unplanned service disruptions, we have reviewed our operations and service.
PVTA has reviewed each route and adjusted timetables and frequency to ensure that we can continue to provide the most effective service across our service area. We have identified a series of temporary service adjustments that we believe will minimize the impact on our passengers. While the decision to adjust service was difficult, we believe these adjustments allow us to continue providing the safe and reliable service that connects our passengers to the broader community and meets their needs to access employment, education, medical care, shopping, and the community.
Our goal is to ensure that we can provide the service our passengers and communities depend on with minimal disruptions.
Northampton Area Transit will have schedule adjustments effective November 1, 2021:
|Route Affected||Route Modifications||Schedules|
|B43||Between 7 AM and 1 PM, will operate service every half hour||See B43 Schedule|
|B48||Provide service hourly.|
(Alternate connections to Springfield and Holyoke are available on the R41 and G73).
|See B48 Schedule|
|B48 & R44||Operates from 7 AM to 7 PM.||See R44 Schedule|
Once we have addressed our staffing challenges, we will resume regular service. To help expedite this, we are also asking for your help. If you know someone who may be qualified to work for PVTA, please refer them to our website to begin the application process.
Springfield Area Transit will have schedule adjustments effective December 12, 2021:
- G2E suspended: The G2E Route will be suspended. Please use the G2 for service between Union Station and Memorial Industrial Park.
- B6 frequency change: Weekday frequency will be reduced from 20 minutes to 30 minutes.
- B7 frequency change: Weekday frequency will be reduced from 15 minutes to 20 minutes.
- X90 split route and frequency changes: The X90 route will be split into two parts. One serving Chicopee to HTC and the other serving Chicopee to East Longmeadow.
- Chicopee to East Longmeadow will run between East Longmeadow Big Y and Chicopee Big Y, while Chicopee to HTC will run between Chicopee Big Y and HTC.
- Passengers traveling between the two parts will require a transfer at Chicopee Big Y
- The Chicopee to East Longmeadow part will follow the existing A branch on all trips. Please use G1 for service on Grove St and Main St in Chicopee Falls.
- The Chicopee to East Longmeadow frequency will be reduced from 30 minutes to 60 minutes.
- The Chicopee to HTC part will continue to service both A branch and B branch with a slight variation on the B branch using the Willimansett Bridge instead of Buckley Blvd, Prospect St, James St, Syrek St, and Main St in South Hadley Falls to improve travel times. Service on X90 in South Hadley Falls will still be provided on A branch trips.
- The Chicopee to HTC frequency on each branch will be 60 minutes for a combined 30-minute frequency for service between HTC and Chicopee Big Y.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact PVTA’s Customer Service and Information Center or call 413.781.7882.