The Pioneer Valley Regional Transit Authority (PVTA) is conducting a Comprehensive Service Analysis, or CSA, which takes a detailed look at current PVTA bus service and presents ways to redesign it to more closely meet your needs. PVTA is looking at each of its bus routes individually as well as the overall network of service to improve their function and cost effectiveness. Completion of this effort will help PVTA to better understand the strengths and weaknesses of PVTA services, as well as potential opportunities to create a better transit network. Specifically the goals of the CSA are to:
- Make sure PVTA services meet and support community needs.
- Make the bus an attractive option for more people in our community. Study recommendations will focus on finding ways to increase bus ridership.
- Ensure PVTA services are operated in the most cost effective and efficient way possible.
Key Project Elements
- Surveys – Collect ideas, comments and thoughts from stakeholders, members of the general public and people who are currently riding PVTA buses.
- Market Analysis – Review the demographic and socio-economic characteristics of the Springfield-Northampton-Amherst area to identify the best markets for transit service.
- Route Evaluations – Conduct a detailed analysis of each PVTA bus route, including number of riders on every route, at every stop and at different times of days, to determine if changes are needed.
The draft Route Evaluations for all PVTA bus routes are now available for review.
- Service Guidelines – Service guidelines are general rules for how services should be organized and designed, and how hours of service and frequency should be determined.
- Recommendations – Create a series of service improvement scenarios that offer options for how the system might be improved.
PVTA has already received input from hundreds of PVTA riders who were surveyed at the start of this study. In the fall, PVTA will be holding public meetings to get even more input from PVTA system users and to hear your thoughts on a variety of potential service changes. Please provide your contact information below so that we can notify you of these upcoming meetings or if you prefer not to be contacted via email - check this website often to see how the study is progressing.
The draft Route Evaluations for all PVTA bus routes are now available for review. Each evaluation will include a description of the route’s alignment and service pattern (e.g. schedule and ridership), an assessment of route performance, and a list of potential service changes that should be considered. You may view these evaluations by clicking on your route below. If you have any questions about how to read the route evaluation, please refer to the “How to Read a Route Evaluation” presentation.
How to Read Route Evaluations (opens in a new browser window)
Springfield Area Transit Routes (Springfield, Holyoke, Chicopee):
- Route 1 Chicopee Center Sumer Allen
- Route 2 Carew East Springfield Belmont Dwight
- Route 3 Springfield Plaza Springfield College
- Route 4 Plainfield Street
- Route 5 Dickinson Longmeadow SBT
- Route 6 Ludlow via Bay
- Route 7 State Boston Rd Eastfield Mall
- Route 8 Orange Plumtree SBT
- Route 10 West Springfield
- Route 11 HCC Express
- Route 12 Stonybrook Express
- Route 13 Maple Street East Longmeadow
- Route 14 Feeding Hills Springfield
- Route 15 Oak Grove
- Route 17 Eastfield Mall via Wilbraham Parker
- Route 19 Springfield Plaza Fairview
- Route 20 Holyoke Springfield via Holyoke Mall
- Route 21 Holyoke Springfield via Chicopee
- Route 22 Holyoke Chicopee Big Y
- Route 23 Holyoke Westfield via HCC
- Route 24 Essex Appleton Holyoke Mall
- Route 25 South Hadley Granby Holyoke Holyoke Mall
- Route 27 Wilbraham Eastfield Mall Sixteen Acres
Valley Area Transit Routes (Northampton):
- Route 40 Minuteman Express
- Route 41 Northampton / Easthampton / HCC
- Route 42 Northampton / Williamsburg
- Route 43 Northampton / Hadley / Amherst
- Route 44 Florence Heights
- Route 48 Northampton / Veterans Park
UMass Transit Routes (Amherst):
- Route 30 North Amherst/Old Belchertown
- Route 31 Sunderland/ South Amherst
- Route 32 Puffer’s Pond/ Atkins
- Route 34 and Route 35 Campus Shuttle
- Route 37 Amity Shuttle
- Route 38 Mt. Holyoke/ Hampshire/ Amherst College/ UMass
- Route 39 Smith/ Hampshire/ Mt. Holyoke
- Route 45 Belchertown Center
- Route 46 South Deerfield/ UMass
Anticipated Project Timeline
|Ongoing||Stakeholder and Public Input|
|Spring 2013||Data Gathering and Market Analysis|
|Summer 2013||Route Evaluations, Service Goals, and Design Guidelines|
|Fall 2013||Public Workshops, Service Options, and Draft Recommendations|
|Winter 2014||Draft and Final Reports|
Please continue to check this website for project information. To be included on project outreach efforts, please provide your information below: